Sunday, July 11, 2010

Arrachera (Grilled Skirt Steak)

OK, we have some neighbors who have grilled skirt steak a couple of times this summer and the smell wafting from their yard makes my mouth water every time. So I needed to try it. I found this recipe online and did a little tweaking to benefit those family members that don't like spicy food as much as Chris and I do. I'll note my tweaks throughout the recipe. It was amazing when Chris pulled it off the grill. I am hoping my neighbors were home and their mouths were watering!

Grilled skirt steak, or arrachera, has the robust flavors of cumin, cilantro, and garlic plus some heat from the jalapenos. The cut of meat is very popular in Mexican cooking. Any steak lover will relish the flavorful grilled meat. it is important not to puree the cilantro in the marinade for too long, or it will detract from the fresh flavor and dull the bright green color. Rolling up the steak during marination helps the meat to absorb the flavors and and makes it easier to store in the refrigerator. Serve with salsa, beans, Mexican corn on the cob and plenty of warm tortillas.


List of Ingredients


1/4 cup cumin seeds (I used 3 tbsp. ground cumin)

1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

1 cup olive oil

1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice

3 bunches cilantro, including stems (I used 1/2 of a large bunch)

4 cloves garlic (I used 6, 2 were kind of small, LOL)

4 jalapeno chiles, cut in half lengthwise (I used 2 and did not puree them in the marinade, I just left them sliced)

3 pounds skirt steak, trimmed and cut into 6 serving pieces

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

Instructions


Lightly toast the cumin seeds in a dry skillet over high heat until their aroma is released, 1 to 2 minutes, shaking the pan taking care not to burn them. Combine the cumin seeds, olive oil, lime juice, jalapeno chiles, garlic, salt, and black pepper in the jar of an electric blender and puree until smooth. Scrape down the sides, add the cilantro, and pulse until just blended. Rub the meat generously with the marinade, roll the pieces up into tight logs, put them in a resealable plastic bag, and refrigerate for 24 hours to 48 hours, turning once or twice.

Heat a gas or charcoal grill or broiler until it is very hot. Position the rack about 4 inches from the heat. left the steaks from the marinade and grill each side until seared, 3 to 4 minutes, turning once. Discard the marinade. Remove to a warm platter, let rest for 5 minutes, and then transfer the steaks to a cutting board, slice across the grain into thin strips, and serve.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...