Friday, July 9, 2010

Cheesy Chili Soup

I am one of those soup lovers that can eat soup even if it is 90 degrees outside. I had a chicken soup this week that I ate every day for lunch even though it was definitely acting like summer outside. I almost forgot what that was like after last summer. This recipe can be adjusted to be a meat free soup by switching out the chicken broth for vegetable broth.

1 28oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 15oz. can kidney beans, rinsed
1 14.5oz. can chicken broth
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 tsp. chili powder
1 C. shredded cheddar cheese

Bring all ingredients except cheese to a boil in a medium saucepan.

Simmer over low heat 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in 1/3 C. cheese.

Ladle into bowls and top with remaining cheese.

You can also garnish with some sour cream and fresh cilantro if desired.

2 comments:

Kathie said...

I am making this today and wanted something a little more substantial so I added 1lb of lean ground beef, green peppers instead of celery and some crushed tomatoes as well as diced. I will stop back after dinner tonight and let you know how it tastes!

Kathie said...

OK, after I simmered this for about 40 minutes, Chris and I tried it and it seemed a little acidic with all of the tomato products. I added 2 tbsp. molasses to sweeten it up a bit. It was delicious!

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...