Thursday, July 29, 2010

Louisiana Red Beans and Rice

Zatarains makes great red beans and rice but the sodium content is completely outrageous.  This is something I can make that has all of the flavor but doesn't turn my fingers into little sausages!  LOL  I guess one of the draw backs to getting older is that you have to ease up on the salt but on the other hand it probably isn't going to hurt me (or you) to try and eat better.

4 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 14 1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 package smoked sausage, sliced
1 C. chicken broth
1 large onion, chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 green onions
Hot cooked rice

In a 4 qt. slow cooker combine first 11 ingredients.  Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until heated through.  Stir before serving, discard bay leaf.  Sprinkle each serving with green onions and serve over rice.

1 comment:

Kathie said...

I made this for dinner tonight. It needs maybe some Cajun seasoning but it definitely does not need salt. I would also suggest stirring at the beginning as well as the end of the cooking process.

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...