Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Rosemary and Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes

I have fond memories of Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners with my Grandmother's cousin, Pat Doyle. Pat LOVED mashed potatoes. His plate was always piled high with the potatoes that Grandma had Grandpa peel on the holidays. If you sat next to Pat, you often worried (OK maybe only I worried) that the gold handled bowl would be empty by the time it passed Pat. I can still hear his beautiful brogue..."Can I give you some of your Grandma's potatoes Kathie?" Pat passed away a few years ago but I think he might approve of this recipe and I can guarantee I will think of him when I make it...and eat my body weight in potatoes!

2 1/2lbs Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch cubes
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
4oz. goat cheese
1/3 C. buttermilk
1 tbsp. minced fresh rosemary
1 tbsp. minced lemon zest
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Boil potatoes and rosemary sprigs in salted water until tender; 15-20 minutes. Remove springs and drain potatoes. Return potatoes to the pan and dry briefly over medium heat, stirring often to prevent scorching. Remove pan from heat.

Mash potatoes and stir in butter to coat. Add goat cheese and stir until melted. Fold in buttermil, minced rosemary, zest, salt and pepper.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...