Sunday, August 7, 2011

Roasted Garlic Butternut Soup

I discovered that I like butternut squash last fall when I made soup.  I do love my soup.  Here's another one that uses an entire bulb of garlic...can't go wrong there.  A cup of this soup with 1 tbsp. crumbled blue cheese is 144 calories.  I may also try it with feta cheese because I like feta better than blue.

1 whole garlic bulb
1 tsp. olive oil
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
l large onion, chopped
2 tbsp. butter
3 1/4 C. water
1 14.5oz. can low sodium chicken broth
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
9 tbsp. crumbled blue cheese

Remove papery outer skin from garlic.  Do not peel or separate cloves.  Cut off the top of the garlic bulb.  Brush with oil; wrap in heavy duty foil.  Bake at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until softened.  Cool 10-15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute the squash, sweet potato, and onion in butter until crisp tender.  Add the water, broth, paprika, pepper, and salt; squeeze softened garlic into pan.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Cool slightly.

In a food processor, process soup in batches until smooth.  Return all to pan and heat through.  Ladle into bowls, top with blue cheese.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...