Sunday, October 30, 2011

Rendezvous Under the Stars

Now that I have your attention with my title...I will let you know that this was the title of a cooking class Chris and I took a couple of weeks ago.  Cooking classes are favorite date nights for us.  The class we took will be the topic of this post and I will be posting all of the recipes we made that night.

The class is held on the covered patio behind the Chopping Block in Lincoln Square.  This was the third time we have been out on the patio but the first time it was a hands on class.  The chefs at the Chopping Block are great.  We had taken classes with both of them before.  They are all talented but don't take themselves too seriously.  They also offer tips that I use at home all the time. 

I showed my Mom the orange slicing technique I learned in this class just yesterday...we took an orange and cut off a small piece at the top and at the bottom.  Lay the orange on one of the flat surfaces and using a sharp knife, slice the peel and the pith off of the orange (have I mentioned I HATE pith?).  Once all of the peel is gone, use the knife to cut out the segments one by one.  It's a little messy but it's really cool; when you're done, all you have left in your hand is the little membrane that is between each orange segment.

We also met a lovely couple in class.  They were kitchen novices but were eager to learn and I am sure will be kitchen wizards in no time!

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...