Saturday, November 12, 2011

Chickpea Chicken Noodle Soup

I found this in the Food Network Magazine.  I was laughing earlier today because my mother in law as asking if I was getting tired of making soup for her once a week.  I told Chris to tell her that I am making double batches and eating the soups for my lunch so to me it is a win win situation.  I just hope I don't find a soup she doesn't like and I do like it!  LOL

2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
4 oz. spaghetti, broken into small pieces
1 carrot, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 C. chopped fresh cilantro
4 C. low sodium chicken broth
1 15oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 15oz. can diced tomatoes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 small skinless, boneless chicken breasts, thinly sliced

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat.  Add the spaghetti and cook, stirring until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.  Add the carrot, garlic, cumin, cinnamon and half of the cilantro; cook, stirring until the spices are toasted, about 1 minute.  Add the chicken broth, chickpeas, diced tomatoes, 1 C. water and salt and pepper to taste.  Cover and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium low and cook until the spaghetti is just tender, about 8 more minutes.  Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add it to the soup.  Simmer until cooked through, about 2 minutes.  Add the remaining cilantro and season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...