Friday, December 2, 2011

Beef Vegetable Soup

OK, I am making this as I go and decided to actual "post in progress" so to speak.  I wanted something hearty and savory...we're supposed to have some of the coldest weather of the season early next week so I will need to eat something to battle that.  No worries, it's not going to be below zero or anything...but it's been pretty mild here so far (knocking wood furiously) and believe me when I tell you that I am not complaining.  I love that it was still warm enough last night to walk the beagle without feeling like Nanook of the North!

I am making a HUGE pot of this because I am going to send some to my mother in law so I have done the following so far.

I have browned 2lbs of London broil in grapeseed oil.  I cubed the meat before throwing it in the pan and seasoned it with granulated garlic, onion powder, salt and Chicago Steak Seasoning from Penzey's.  Once all of the meat was browned, I added about a half a cup of red wine and simmered the meat for an hour; giving the meat a chance to get a little tender and the alcohol to cook off. 

Then I came back to the pot and added a 14oz. can of petite diced tomatoes, about a cup of diced celery,  a 14oz. can of kidney beans I had drained and rinsed well, and 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced into coins.  I had 6 medium Yukon gold potatoes that I peeled and cut into a large dice before tossing them into the pot.  I then turned up the heat to medium and let the pot come to a vigorous boil.  After about 10 minutes, I checked to make sure the potato pieces were tender.  The I added a small zucchini peeled and slice in half lengthwise then cut into half circles, about 4oz. of white mushrooms sliced and an 8oz. back of frozen mixed veggies; pick your poison on this.  My bag has carrots, green beans and corn in it.  I don't do lima beans so you won't find them in my soup.

The pot is currently simmering on low and it will be done in about 10 minutes.  Along the way I have added salt and pepper, some dried thyme and some parsley flakes.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...