Thursday, December 15, 2011

Mocha Almond Buttercream

OK, I was tasked to make a cake for my family's December birthday party the other day.  I knew we would be having my Mom's world famous angel food cake with chocolate pudding and chocolate whipped cream frosting, and several other desserts.  I am not a huge fan of chocolate cake.  I know that makes me some sort of freak but it's true.  After a big meal, a piece of chocolate cake sits in my stomach like a brick.  So, I started with a French vanilla box cake.  I think it was Aunt Betty's (read Crocker) recipe.  I baked it in a 9x13 pan.

When it came time to frost the cake I kind of threw this together.  I poured about 2 C. of powdered sugar in a medium bowl.  Then I melted a half a bag of semi sweet morsels in the microwave with 3 tbsp of butter.  I added the melted mixture to the powdered sugar along with a tsp. each of vanilla and almond extracts.  I started my hand mixer on low and then turned it up to medium adding half and half until I reached the desired thickness.  If you add too much half and half just add more powdered sugar.

PS--It got rave reviews at the party!

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...