Monday, December 12, 2011

Zesty Chicken Tortellini Soup

I found this in my Taste of Home for Dec 2011.  I made it for my mother in law yesterday.  I think I will half the onion soup mix next time.  I thought it was a little bit salty.  The mix of chicken and beef broth was yummy though.

4 C. reduced sodium chicken broth
4 C. reduced sodium beef broth
6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (I used 3 large breasts, I am not a fan of dark meat)
4 medium carrots, sliced
2 celery ribs. sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1 envelope reduced sodium onion soup mix
1 1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 1/2 C. frozen cheese tortellini

In a Dutch oven, bring the broths to a boil; reduce heat.  Add chicken and poach, uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170 degrees.  Remove chicken and cool slightly.

Add carrots, celery, onion, soup mix, parsley, and seasonings to broth.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Cool soup.  Meanwhile, shred chicken and add it and the tortellini to the soup.

The finished product



This soup can be frozen for up to 3 months.  To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.  Place in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cook uncovered for 5-10 minutes or until heated through and the tortellini are tender.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...