Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pork Chops with Fresh Tomato, Onion, Garlic, & Feta

I probably won't test out this recipe until we have fresh tomatoes.  Although maybe with Campari tomatoes in the winter...they are the closest thing I have found to a decent tomato this time of year and believe me I have tried many different types.  The Camparis also last longer than grape tomatoes that get weird in a couple of days.  We'll have to see what I find at the Poot in the next couple of weeks.  I will also probably switch out feta for gorgonzola for Chris; he's not a feta fan.

2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
4 pork loin chops, 1 inch thick
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
1/2 pint red grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 pint yellow grape tomatoes, halved
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 tbsp. dried basil
1 1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
4oz. feta cheese, crumbled

Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Stir in the onion and cook until golden brown.  Set aside.

Heat 1/2 tbsp. oil in the skillet.  Season pork chops with salt, pepper and garlic powder, and place in the skillet.  Cook to desired doneness.  Set aside and keep warm.

Heat remaining oil in the skillet.  Return the onions to skillet and stir in tomatoes, garlic, and basil.  Cook and stir about 3 minutes, until tomatoes are tender.  Mix in balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Top chops with the onion and tomato mixture and sprinkle with feta cheese to serve.

Note: If I switch out the grape tomatoes for Camparis, I will need to quarter them.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...