Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Slow Cooker Latin Chicken

I cannot wait to try this recipe but I am going to tweak it a bit.  I don't like dark meat chicken so I will sub boneless skinless chicken breasts.  I will also go easy on the cilantro because while I like it, I am a firm believer that a little bit is all you need.  I cannot wait to see how the sweet potatoes taste in this.  This is going to be a great meal when I get home from a long commute in the snow.  Now if the winter continues as it was going a week ago (lots of days in the 40s and 50s), I am sure it will still taste great, I just won't be crabby from a long commute in the snow!  LOL

1 tbsp. olive oil
3lbs chicken thighs (or breasts)
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 C. loosely packed cilantro leaves
2 large sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
2 15.5oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 C. chicken broth
1/4 C. loosely packed cilantro leaves
1 C. hot salsa
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
3 large cloves garlic, chopped
lime wedges, for garnish

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet; season the chicken with salt and pepper.  Sprinkle 1/4 C. cilantro leaves over the chicken.  Brown the chicken in the frying pan 3 to 5 minutes each side.

Arrange the chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker.  Place the sweet potatoes, red pepper, and black beans on top of the chicken.  Mix together the chicken broth, 1/4 C. cilantro leaves, salsa, cumin, allspice, and garlic together in a bowl; pour into the slow cooker.  Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 4 hours.  Garnish with lime wedges and serve.




No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...