Monday, January 2, 2012

Sweet Potato Casserole

I have been wondering how I went through most of my life not liking sweet potatoes.  Now I am hard pressed to find a way to fix them that I don't like.  Although, I will be honest, the canned yams with butter, brown sugar and marshmallows is probably too sweet for my taste.  I have fillings that are vibrating just thinking about them. This is yummy in a non diabetic coma inducing way!  Enjoy!

4 C. sweet potatoes, cubed
1/2 C. white sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. butter, softened
1/2 C. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 C. packed brown sugar
1/3 C. all purpose flour
3 tbsp. butter softened
1/2 C. chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Put sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan with water to cover.  Cook over medium high heat until tender; drain and mash.

In a large bowl, mix together the sweet potatoes, white sugar, eggs, salt, butter, milk, and vanilla.  Mix until smooth.  Transfer to a 9x13 baking dish.

In a medium bowl, mix the brown sugar and flour.  Cut in the butter until the mixture is coarse.  Stir in the pecans.  Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potato mixture.

Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes or until the topping is lightly browned.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...