Sunday, April 8, 2012

Beef Tenderloin

So, you might be wondering where I have been for the last week or so.  Or maybe not.  LOL  Chris and I hosted Easter and we had lots of planning and cleaning and cooking to do.  Our main dish was beef tenderloin.  I have cooked beef tenderloin before but as filet mignons.  I've never done a whole tenderloin before and I would be lying if I said I didn't have nightmares of ruining the meat and serving take out pizza for Easter dinner.  I can say (and I heard from our guests) that I ROCKED the tenderloin.  OK, so all of my guests were family and maybe they were just being nice; but I was beyond pleased with the way the meat turned out.  This video was a terrific guide.

http://www.finecooking.com/videos/how-to-roast-beef-tenderloin.aspx

I had 3 full sized tenderloins that I trimmed down into 7 roasts; 3 larger and 4 smaller.  My plan was to do the majority of the roasts to medium doneness; leaving a couple to go to well done for those who like their meat that way (Uncle Jim).  You may have some difficulty finding butcher's twine; I did.  Walgreen's saved me...check in the household section.

Beef tenderloin can be a little intimidating if you do your own trimming but I cannot say enough about the video.  It walked you through every step.  Now you can buy a beef tenderloin completely butchered but it costs a fortune.   I did not use the mustard shown on the video.  My tenderloin had truffle salt and freshly ground pepper.  Sometimes the best way to cook terrific meat is as simply as possible.

One thing I will say is that I checked those roasts every 10 minutes with a digital probe thermometer until I reached my desired doneness.  Most importantly, let your meat REST!  You won't regret it.  The meat melts in your mouth when the juices redistribute.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...