Saturday, May 11, 2013

Quick Saturday (or Sunday) Supper

OK, it's the middle of May and it feels kind of like the middle of October or the middle of March.  We hemmed and hawed about what to have for dinner and I said, "Let's cook!"  I'll be honest...Mother's Day is tough for me because we do brunch with my family and then dinner with my in laws and when you're watching your waist line; and who isn't??  I didn't want to order out or go out for dinner again.

I had a pork roast (loin, about 3lbs) defrosting and sent Chris to the store for red potatoes, stone ground mustand and applesauce.  Yes, it's May but as cold as it is, I don't mind the oven running for an hour or so.

I made a rub of the mustard and a tbsp. of honey.  I rubbed the roast down and seared all sides in a cast iron covered skillet.  I deglazed the skillet with white wine but had seared the roast so well the liquid left was over-burnt so I discarded it.

I tossed some red and Yukon Gold potatoes cut into quarters in the same mustard and honey I used on the pork and put them in the bottom of the skillet.  I put the seared roast on top and cooked it for 90 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

You don't have cook the crud out of pork anymore.  I pulled it from the oven at 145 degrees and let it rest for 12-15 minutes and the meat was tender and juicy and the potatoes were done perfectly.  I added a salad and the applesauce for sides along with some beer for Chris and white wine for me and we had a fantastic supper!

PS--Spray your cast iron skillet with Pam prior to searing for easy clean up!

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...