Monday, August 5, 2013

Blueberry BBQ Sauce

Yes, that's right...blueberry BBQ sauce.  I have the best neighbors.  We pass fruits, veggies, baked goods and meats over the fence on a regular basis.  Yesterday the doorbell rang and it was one of my neighbors with about 6 quarts of Michigan blueberries.  I may have mentioned Michigan blueberries here in the blog once or twice...they are little blue spheres of heaven.  I used to eat them when we would pick them until I had a tummy ache.  There is nothing like a Michigan blueberry...but I digress from the point of this post...BBQ sauce.

I made a BBQ sauce yesterday which I will get to eventually but I wanted to try making one with blueberries.  In my mind, you need a couple of flavors in a BBQ sauce...sweet (blueberries), sour (vinegar), and heat (hmmm, need to figure this one out).

I started with an existing recipe and then made it my own.

2 C. fresh blueberries (sweet)
1/2 C. balsamic vinegar (sour)
3 tbsp. sugar (sweet)
3 tbsp. ketchup
2 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp. salt

Those are the ingredients in the original recipe.  I added:

2 tsp. lemon juice (sour)
1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (heat)
1/4 tsp. dried chipotle (heat)

Place all ingredients in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer and simmer for 15-25 minutes or until mixture starts to thicken; stirring occasionally.  Let it cool slightly.  Run mixture through a blender.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...