Thursday, August 22, 2013

Texas Tabbouleh

I have been trying to eat better, getting away from a sandwich and/or salad at lunch and while I love some soup...sometimes there's not enough protein and fiber to keep me going till my afternoon snack.  I know, I have big problems!  LOL  I saw this recipe in the Sept/Oct Taste of Home.  I've never tried bulgur...we'll see how it goes. ;-)

1 C. bulgur
2 c. boiling water
3 medium tomatoes
1 C. finely chopped red onion
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 C. chopped sweet red pepper
1/2 C. chopped green pepper
2 jalepeno peppers, seeded and chopped
1/2 C. fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1/4 C. lime juice
3 tbsp. canola oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1 15oz. can black beans,
rinsed and drained
1 C. crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese

Place bulgur in a large bowl; stir in boiling water.  Let stand, covered, 30 minutes, or until bulgur is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.  Drain well, pressing out excess water.  Cool completely.

Stir in tomatoes, onions, peppers, cilantro, lime juice, oil and seasonings.  Add beans, toss to combine.  Refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes.  Serve with cheese.

This recipe makes 10 servings: Per serving--139 calories, 4g. fat, 4mg. cholesterol, 161mg. sodium, 21g. carbs, 5g. fiber, 6g. protein.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...