Saturday, May 9, 2015

Orecchiette with Sausage, Chickpeas, and Mint

I saw this in the May 2015 issue of Food and Wine.  I just planted mint for the first time in many years.  I have it contained in a pot so it doesn't take over the whole yard.  I might try this with both sweet and hot sausage for a little extra zip.  I could see adding some Kalamata olives in before serving or maybe just putting them in my serving.  Not everyone in my household likes them as much as I do. 😀

In a saucepan, cook 12oz. loose Italian sausage in 1/3 C. olive oil over medium high heat until browned, about 7 minutes.  Add 1 sliced red onion.  Cook until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes.

Add 1 lb. cooked orecchiette along with 3/4 C. cooking water and 1 15oz. can of chickpeas that have been drained and rinsed.

Cook until heated through.  Stir in 1 C. mint leaves and 2 tbsp. lemon juice  and season with salt and pepper.  Serve with a dollop of yogurt on top.

No comments:

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...