Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Lemon Thyme Bread

I like making bread.  I love the way it makes my house smell.  I love to eat a piece warm from the oven.  I am hoping to harvest the last of my herbs this weekend.  Mother Nature hopefully won't freeze them out this week.  I can bring in some thyme and give this recipe a whirl!

1/2 C. butter, softened
3/4 C. sugar
1 egg
1/2 C. buttermilk
1/2 C. sour cream
1 3/4 C. flour
2 tbsp. minced fresh thyme
1 tbsp. grated lemon peel
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Confectioner's sugar

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in egg.  Combine buttermilk and sour cream.  Combine the flour, thyme, lemon peel, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk mixture, mixing well after each addition.

Transfer to a greased 8x4 inch loaf pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.  Cool completely; sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.

1 comment:

Kathie said...

I made this tonight...if it tastes half as good as it smells, it's a great recipe!

Key Lime Bars

 We love key lime pie.  I found this recipe in the April/May issue of Taste of Home.  It will be a nice addition to some of our spring and s...